Not on our list? Send us your question to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..



1) What are the causes of crime?

Crime has no single cause. There are many things that may increase the chance that a person will commit a crime. These things, called "risk factors" include: poverty, childhood abuse, unstable families, unemployment, underemployment, low levels of education, discrimination, lack of housing and addictions. The greater the number of "risk factors" present in one’s life, the greater the chance that they will become involved in crime.


2) How does Edmonton John Howard Society address the root causes of crime?


We work with a host of community organizations, three levels of government and an increasingly engaged population to address the social and economic conditions and challenges that underlie most criminal activity. Through education, advocacy and direct services, we work to prevent crime by helping others see that crime is a complex social issue and we all have a role to play in its prevention.



3) Who do you serve?


Edmonton John Howard Society serves people who have been affected by crime. This includes: male and female offenders, ex-offenders and their families; victims of crime, including victims of family violence; young persons; and communities.



4) What programs and services do you offer?


We offer programs and services in four main areas: residential, community, educational and volunteer. Click here for more information on our residential, community and educational services. Click here for more information on our volunteer program.



5) I am a victim of family vioence or other crime.  What can you do for me?


Our Intake and Employment Counsellor and Youth Transition Advisors can assist victims of crime, including victims of family violence, by helping them access resources and supports from appropriate community agencies.

The Family Violence Prevention Centre provides a range of services and supports to help those impacted by family violence. Click here for more information on specific services offered by the Family Violence Prevention Centre.



6) What is a Criminal Record?


A criminal record is a document that contains information on the type of offence for which a person has been found guilty. It also contains personal information such as fingerprints and photographs. Any person who is 18 years of age or older will receive a criminal record if they have been convicted of a summary offence or an indictable offence. An adult criminal record is permanent; however, a person may apply for a pardon which seals, but does not destroy, their criminal record. This record limits a person’s ability to travel outside of Canada and to obtain jobs that require bonding.



7) What is a Youth Court Record?

Any person who is between 12 and 17 years of age, who is found guilty of a summary or indictable offence, will have a youth court record. A youth court record is similar to an adult criminal record in that it contains similar information. However, youth court records are destroyed after a period of time depending on the seriousness of the crime. For more information or to view your Youth Court Record contact your local Police or RCMP.


8) How Can i get a pardon?


Any person charged with a criminal offence as an adult can apply for a pardon. Two conditions apply. First, you must complete all community service hours, fines, surcharges, restitution, compensation, probation, conditional sentence, parole terms or period of incarceration. Second, you must complete a waiting period during which you cannot have any outstanding charges or warrants. The waiting period is three years for summary offences and five years for indictable offences. The pardon application process can begin when both of these conditions have been met.

Edmonton John Howard Society can assist you in completing the pardon process. Application forms are available for pick up at our downtown office or can be mailed to you, on request. Application forms are also available at Provincial Court Buildings.

For more information, please call the Intake and Employment Counsellor at 780.428.7590 or the National Parole Board at 1.800.874.2652.



9) What is the difference between Day Parole and Full Parole?

Day Parole allows offenders to participate in community based activities to prepare for release on full parole or statutory release. Offenders on day parole must return nightly to an institution or a halfway house unless authorized by the National Parole Board.

Full Parole allows the offender to serve the remainder of the sentence under supervision in the community.

Federal offenders generally become eligible for day parole six months before their full parole eligibility date or three years prior to their release date in cases of offenders serving life sentences.

An offender must usually serve the first third, or the first seven years, whichever is less, of any sentence of imprisonment before being eligible for full parole. Different rules apply for offenders serving life sentences for murder or indeterminate sentences.


10) What is Statutory Release?

Statutory Release is not the same as parole. While statutory release and parole are both forms of conditional release that require offenders to conform to a set of release conditions and supervision, statutory release is a legal provision that requires most offenders to serve the final third of their sentence in the community. Parole, on the other hand, is subject to a discretionary decision made by the National Parole Board. Inmates are normally eligible to be considered for parole after serving one-third of their sentence, or seven years, whichever is less.

Offenders on both forms of release may be returned to prison if they commit a new offence or fail to abide by their release conditions.


    The Furniture Program gives people the chance and strength to break away from bad situations. I will be forever grateful.

    The Furniture Program- Client

    Read More

    Thank you to the staff for everything.  The program is awesome and you do make a difference in people lives and I thank you for that.

    Edmonton Remand Centre - Client

    Read More

    The Family Violence program helped me to overcome family violence and helped me with emotional support.

    Family Violence Prevention Centre - Client


    Read More

    Donnelly House staff showed me that people care.  I felt worry free while staying here. 

    Donnelly House - Client

    Read More

    The staff are teaching me the skills on how to control my anger.

    Howard House - Client

    Read More
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Contact the Edmonton
John Howard Society

#401, 10010 105 St.
Edmonton, AB T5J 1C4

Tel: 780.428.7590
Fax: 780.425.1699

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Follow us on: Facebook

CanadaHelp.org Donation to JHS Edmonton